The Nationthailand

Add to Home Screen.

SUNDAY, September 25, 2022
Relatives parade coffin of gambler who died in Huai Khwang raid

Relatives parade coffin of gambler who died in Huai Khwang raid

MONDAY, November 21, 2016
1.7 k

AROUND 20 relatives and friends of punter Don Daengchantip, 34, who died after allegedly being assaulted by seven Sutthisan policemen during a raid on an illegal gambling den in Huai Khwang in Bangkok on November 3, brought his body in a coffin to Sutthisan Police Station yesterday to demand justice.

They want the seven officers, who have been charged, fired, according to Sira Jenjakha, a former member of the now-defunct National Reform Council, who led the group.
The family had a second autopsy done at Thammasat University’s Forensic Science Institute, as they believed the police procedure had not been thorough, Sira said. Initial findings of the second autopsy suggest Don suffered blunt force trauma, resulting in bruises all over his body, and his skull was fractured.
This contradicted comments by Metropolitan Police Area 2 deputy chief Colonel Khomsak Sumangkaset and Sutthisan superintendent Colonel Termpao Suriphubal that Don had died from blood circulation failure combined with chronic ischemic heart disease. 
The family has produced a medical certificate stating that Don did not suffer from any such chronic illness.
After Termpao failed to meet them to hear their concerns yesterday before noon, they filed a complaint with Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha via the Public Service Centre at Government House. The group urged Prayut to transfer Termpao and the seven charged policemen out of Sutthisan Police Station to ensure a just investigation.

‘Sack the police’
The group also urged the PM to sack the seven police, as well as probe the medical examiner who did the police autopsy, and make the police provide aid to Don’s family. 
The complaint was filed despite Pol Lt-Colonel Arun Khunmetta telling the group at Sutthisan Police Station that the seven officers had been charged with fatally assaulting Don and had been reassigned to administration work.
Don’s sister Kanchana claimed the family had been encouraged to accept a settlement, but insisted on justice. Their lawyer filed a charge of negligence on duty against the seven police,. 
Yesterday afternoon, Termpao, accompanied by Arun, told reporters police would ensure justice to both sides and insisted the seven officers had been charged and the incident was being investigated, although it was initially believed that police did not mean to kill Don. Termpao said the relatives should have talked to him rather than holding the protest. 
Arun said that police would probe the relatives’ action, as they might have removed a body without sound reason, a crime punishable by up to three years in prison and/or a fine of up to Bt60,000. 
Pol Captain Thitiwat Khamlee,, who was one of the seven officers in the raid, said the team had tried to arrest illegal gamblers but the strongly-built Don was resisting and tried to flee, so police had to grapple with him twice.
He said many people witnessed the incident, the arrival of the ambulance and the attempt to revive Don.
“There was no beating up of the man nor weapon usage,” he said.