Royal Thai Navy Seals Paddle to Victory at King’s Cup Elephant Boat Race
After three days of fun festivities and action on the Chao Phraya River, Bangkok’s inaugural King’s Cup Elephant Boat race finals were held on Sunday. The event included twelve teams from Thailand, China and the Philippines.
The final day offered plenty of memorable moments and its first winner – Yutthakarnnawa (Royal Thai Navy Seals) - Chang Mineral Water
The final four teams - Nonthaburi - Avani Hotels & Resorts; Institute of Physical Education - Mercedes Benz; Yutthakarnnawa (Royal Thai Navy Seals) - Chang Mineral Water; Pradu Thong Goddess (Royal Thai Navy) - JW Blue Label went head to head in the thrilling final with only 4 seconds separating all the teams. It was festival favourites the Royal Thai Navy Seals that claimed the glory.
The Indoor Rowing Asia Cup Tournament was also held concurrently with teams from 9 countries - Bahrain, Chinese Taipei, India, Iraq, Japan, Malaysia, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Thailand. Each digital heat consisted of 8 rowers giving it their all across 2km with both female and male competitors vying for the coveted Asia Cup trophies. The winners of the woman’s Asia Cup was Yi-ting Huang from Chinese Taipei and Mr. Parminder Singh from India taking the men’s championship.
Saturday night also saw fantastic concerts from New Jiew and fan favourite Singto Numchok.
The exciting event was not only about fun and games – one hundred percent of ticket sales from the event will be donated to elephant related projects throughout Thailand via the Golden Triangle Asian Elephant Foundation.
Final Leaderboard for 2019 King’s Cup Elephant Boat Race
- Yutthakarnnawa (Royal Thai Navy Seals) - Chang Mineral Water
- Pradu Thong Goddess (Royal Thai Navy) - JW Blue Label
- Institute of Physical Education - Mercedes Benz
- Nonthaburi - Avani Hotels & Resorts
- Singburi - Casillero del Diablo
- Pradu Ngern Goddess (Royal Thai Navy) - Price Waterhouse Coopers
- PhetNava - Keith & Kim
- Samutprakarn - Veuve Clicquot
- Nakornsithammarat - EGAT ( Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand)
- Porn Phra Kaew - Bangkok Bank
- Dongguan Sheen Fine Club, China – CITI
- Pilipinas Orient Dragon - Anantara Hotels