Help arrives at areas struck by Sunda Strait tsunami, while death toll reaches 168
Search and rescue and medical teams have arrived in areas struck by the Sunda Strait tsunami on Sunday, while the latest death toll has climbed to 168 as of Sunday noon.
Dozens of ambulance cars have been deployed to Tanjung Lesung, Panimbang, in Pandeglang regency, Banten by the local administration and the private sector.
"Volunteers have reached Tanjung Lesung for search and rescue," Edi, 40, a resident of Tanjung Lesung, who is also a survivor of the tsunami told Antara news agency on Sunday.
Edi said the tsunami lasted for 10 minutes. He was carried by the waves until the tide died down, and was left with injuries.
Some of the tsunami survivors have been brought to Panimbang community health center (Puskesmas) in Pandeglang regency, Banten, which has recorded a death toll of 10 so far.
The center has seen 63 patients with injuries such as broken bones, bruises as well as breathing difficulties caused by consuming too much sea water.
"All 10 people who died were tourists in Tanjung Lesung," Iwan, a staff member at the health center told Antara news agency.
On the other side of the Sunda Strait in Bandarlampung, survivors took shelter at the Lampung governor’s office.
Since Sunday morning, residents have been going to the office, many bringing clothes and beds.
Lampung regional secretary Hamartono Ahadis asked residents to stay alert.
"Don't easily trust information saying there will be a tsunami in the city. However, residents should remain vigilant and be careful should the high waves come again," he said as quoted by Antara.
At least seven people died and 89 were injured after tidal waves hit South Lampung on Saturday at around 10:00 p.m.
Head of the Lampung Disaster Mitigation Agency, I Ketut Sukerta, said there were four severely affected districts in South Lampung, including Kalianda, Rajabasa, Sidomulyo and Katibung.
He said search and rescue had been underway since last night and would be focused on the four districts.
National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said the latest death toll as of Sunday at 1 p.m. was 168 people, with 750 injured and 35 reported missing. Hundreds of houses and buildings have been damaged, and heavy equipment has been deployed for recovery efforts.
Data from the Banten Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) received by The Jakarta Postreveals that a total of five beaches in Banten's Pandeglang regency were affected by the disaster, namely Tanjung Lesung, Sumur, Teluk Lada, Panimbang and Carita. The Banten BPBD said at least 43 houses and 10 hotels were severely damaged. (ars/evi)