The Nationthailand

Add to Home Screen.

TUESDAY, September 27, 2022
Police to review strategies after officer shot dead

Police to review strategies after officer shot dead

WEDNESDAY, February 07, 2018
2.9 k

National police chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda has instructed police to review and practise strategies to handle armed suspects to minimise harm to officers, Chakthip’s deputy Pol General Chalermkiat Srivorakan said on Wednesday.

This follows an incident on Tuesday when a Chon Buri man high on methamphetamines shot dead a deputy police inspector who tried to stop him from threatening his neighbours with guns.
The slain Pol Captain Issarapong Kulchinda, deputy inspector of the Nong Kham police station in Chon Buri’s Sri Racha district, was promoted post-mortem to the rank of Pol major general, enabling his family to receive benefits and compensation totalling about Bt2 million. The Royal Thai Police will also recruit one of his children to serve as a police officer in future, said deputy police spokesman Pol Colonel Krissana Patanacharoen.
Chon Buri man Nirut Jitmun, 39, surrendered to police after he allegedly shot dead Issarapong and wounded a police volunteer, Supasit Mongliang, 37, as they tried to stop him from intimidating his neighbours. 
Nirut engaged in a fistfight with Supasit and another police volunteer before he shot Supasit in the abdomen. Nirut also shot dead Issarapong, who arrived at the scene later and tried to help his colleagues make an arrest. Issarapong sustained a gunshot wound in his chest and died at Laem Chabang Hospital.
Chon Buri deputy police chief Pol Colonel Ronachai Jindamuk said police seized a .38 revolver, a 9mm pistol and ammunition, as well as a small amount of ketamine from the suspect.
Nirut, who also tested positive to drug use, has been charged with killing an on-duty police officer, attempted murder of an assistant to the police, illegal possession of guns and ammunition, and carrying and firing a gun in a public place. 
Nirut was escorted by 30 police officers to perform a re-enactment of the crime at the scene on Wednesday afternoon. Police then applied for a court-issued detention order.