The Nationthailand

Add to Home Screen.

TUESDAY, November 29, 2022
Husband faces detention, while taxi driver testifies about acid-splashed wife’s death

Husband faces detention, while taxi driver testifies about acid-splashed wife’s death

TUESDAY, November 13, 2018

Police on Tuesday brought Kamtan Singhanart, 50, to apply to the Thon Buri Court’s order for a 12-day detention after he was accusedof splashing acid on his now-dead wife Chorladda Tharawan’s face before fleeing on November 9.

Chorladda succumbed to her injuries and died after she sought treatment at Praram 2 Hospital. That hospital reportedly sent her to Bang Mod Hospital where she was subscribed for the “gold card” universal healthcare scheme.
She died before Bang Mod Hospital could help her.
Praram 2 Hospital has been the focus of criticism from Chorladda’s family and netizens over allegations that they failed to treat her. The hospital maintains that the accusation is untrue.
A potential lawsuit is being considered against the hospital as outspoken lawyer Atchariya Ruangratanapong acts on behalf of the patient’s family.
Kamtan told police that he was not a cruel person after being arrested on Sunday night at his friend’s house in Nakhon Sawan. This was in line with his neighbour’s claim that Kamtan was normally a good man who did everything he could for his family at their rented home in Samae Dam sub-district. Neighbours have said they believe he committed the alleged crime on an impulse.
Police objected to Kamtan getting a bail release on the grounds that this case carried a severe penalty.
Meanwhile, a Bangkok cabbie who picked up the acid-wounded Chorladda and her accompanying 12-year-old daughter from Praram 2 Hospital to Bang Mod Hospital on November 9, told police on Monday evening that the woman was still conscious when she arrived at the second hospital.
This was contrary to the initial account by Chorladda’s daughter, who said her mother died on the way and that a Bang Mod Hospital doctor then tried to resuscitate her but was unable to bring her back.
Testifying as a witness to Tha Kham deputy superintendent Pol Lt-Colonel Sakhon Sriwattanakapong, taxi driver Sa-ngad Datchuyawat, 37, said a Bang Mod staff member pushing a gurney asked Chorladda whether she was still able to “hang in there” while being wheeled away.
Chorladda reportedly replied, “I cannot take it anymore”.
The taxi driver said he was told by the first hospital’s staff that Chorladda had sustained an injury from being scalded by boiling water and wanted to get a lift to Bang Mod Hospital, which staff said had already been informed of her transfer.
Lawyer Atchariya on Tuesday said about Sa-ngad’s testimony that it would not affect the lawsuit he intended to bring against Praram 2 Hospital.
No matter where the patient died, the important point was the taxi driver’s testimony that Chorladda was in a critical condition, said Atchariya.
The lawyer also revealed that he was the one who brought Sa-ngad from Nakhon Ratchasima to tell the truth to police so as to ensure transparency.
Atchariya said he would have a lawyer’s team meeting later on Tuesday as he sought for police and Public Health Ministry officials to probe the Praram 2 Hospital facility and the quality of its treatment, and to brainstorm a way to file legal actions against the hospital.