The Nation



The clashes as they happened

A chronology of key events from yesterday:

9.20am: PDRC member Satit Wongnongtaey announces protesters will seize Government House, Royal Thai Police Headquarters and Metropolitan Police Bureau.

9.45am: PM Yingluck arrives at Police HQ for a meeting of the Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO).

10am: Protesters led by Chumphon Junsai arrive at First Infantry Division intersection.

10.45am: Protesters led by Issara Somchai move from First Infantry Division intersection to Karn Ruen intersection. A war of words erupts via loudspeakers.

10.51am: Firecrackers and home-made bombs thrown towards police at First Infantry Division. Each side accuses the other of attacks. Police launch tear gas at protesters.

11am: Protesters at Chamai Maruchet Bridge cut the razor wire to reach concrete barriers along the canal next to Government House. Protesters cross Oratai Bridge and throw objects at police there.

11.30am: Deputy PM Pracha Promnog holds a press conference to hand over his job as CAPO chief to Deputy PM and Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul.

12.15pm: The National Human Rights Commission calls for all sides to stop using violence.

12.25pm: Protesters at Chamai Maruchet Bridge use water from hoses against police.

12.40pm: Protesters use a tractor-truck to remove concrete barriers. Some faint after being exposed to police tear gas for over an hour.

1pm: Suthep calls a meeting of the People's Democratic Reform Committee members.

1.15pm: Protesters at Karn Ruen intersection remove razor wire. Police warn they will fire rubber bullets.

1.30pm: Yingluck holds a press conference.

2pm: Police at Chamai Maruchet Bridge say they will use rubber bullets.

2.15pm: PDRC member Somsak Kosaisuk tells reporters the group will continue the protest.

2.30pm: Deputy Commerce Minister Nuttawut Saikuar, as a red-shirt leader, holds a press conference in support of Yingluck.

3pm: CAPO denies using rubber bullets.

A Students and People's Network for Thailand's Reform (STR) leader tells protesters at Chamai Maruchet Bridge to retreat, saying a third party has attacked police.

3.15pm: PDRC spokesman Akanat Promphan in a press conference rebuts Yingluck's statement, says the government will continue to fight protesters.

3.30pm: Tractor-truck arrives at protest site at First Infantry Division intersection.

4pm: Protesters set up a 3-metre-high net at First Infantry Division intersection and use a giant fan and tanker truck to spray water against police tear gas. Police use a machine to fire tear-gas canisters.

4.16pm: Satit declares a possible retreat in the face of 'severe violence'.

5pm: The Criminal Court approves arrest warrants for Suthep and four leaders of the Students and People's Network for Thailand's Reform.

5.09pm: Pol Lt-General Asawin Kwanmuang, a representative of protesters, announces after talks with deputy national police chief Worapong Chewpreecha at Metropolitan Police Bureau that protesters will return to Democracy Monument.

Police cease firing tear gas.

Comments conditions

Users are solely responsible for their comments.We reserve the right to remove any comment and revoke posting rights for any reason withou prior notice.