The government's peacekeeping centre on Thursday recommended that people stay home particularly in nighttime rather than join the anti-government protests, saying it would be difficult to find attackers if incidents were to occur.
The Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO)’s Tarit Pengdith said the suggestion was being made in the wake of increasing violence and attacks.
“We wish to suggest that people stay away from the protest sites and remain at home. There have been a series of violent incidents and attacks that have led to deaths and injuries. We believe that under the present circumstances, it is difficult to bring the attackers to justice and make them pay for the damage they cause,” Tarit said.
He said the authorities concerned had reclaimed at least 60 government agencies from the anti-government protesters. However because of the Civil Court’s ruling, such activities could no longer be continued. He was referring to the ruling that prohibits a crackdown or use of violence against the protesters. The ruling notes that the people are exercising their rights and that the protests are proceeding in a peaceful manner.
He also expressed appreciation at rally leader Suthep Thaugsuban’s agreement for a combined unit of soldiers and police to enter the rally sites to provide security and undertake checks. Previously any security authorities were prohibited from entering rally sites.