Man charged after admitting he delivered grenades to attack protesters

national July 23, 2014 00:00

By The Nation

2,491 Viewed

A man turned himself in to police and confessed to delivering grenades to colleagues to throw at anti-government protesters early this year, deputy National Police chief Pol General Somyot Poompanmoung said yesterday

Apichart Puangpet, 42, was charged with conspiring to possess explosive devices that normally used in war without permission and violating the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) order.
Somyot said Apichart turned himself in after police discovered and seized caches of war weapons in Ayutthaya. 
Apichart said he had received the grenades from a group of people and delivered more than 20 of them to “his team” He also hid four grenades in the Saen Saeb canal.
Another suspect, Worapon Pollamaiwongdee, 44, was summoned and charged with illegal possession of explosive devices, guns and fireworks as well as violating the NCPO order Police pressed the charges after discovering an M19 A2 grenade and two RGD5 grenades in Chon Buri, after Worapon confessed to hiding them in a rice field.
Meanwhile, suspect Thawatchai Promchan turned himself in at Bang Na police station yesterday to face charges of blocking an election and possessing and firing a gun.
He denied being involved in the murder of Suthin Taratin, leader of People’s Army to Overthrow the Thaksin Regime, saying he and Suthin shared the same political ideology Suthin was shot dead on January 26 outside a temple on Bang Na-Trat Road while rallying to try to block advance election voting.
Thawatchai was released on Bt100,000 bail.
Separately, the Criminal Court yesterday gave red-shirt leaders Nuttawut Saikuar and Jatuporn Promphan suspended jail terms and slapped each with a Bt40,000 fine for allegedly eavesdropping and revealing the contents of a phone conversation between former Supreme Court officials and a PM’s Office permanent secretary.
Jatuporn, Nuttawut and former PM’s Office minister Jakrapob Penkair played a recording of the conversation at a United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) rally. 
While Jakrapob was also charged for eavesdropping, his case has been suspended indefinitely, as he lives in self-imposed exile overseas.

Most view