'Innocent man' hurt by latest grenade attack

national March 22, 2014 00:00

By Montien Intaket
The Nation

2,567 Viewed

Victim lives close to top court judge

Speaking from his hospital bed, an innocent M79 grenade attack victim was deeply worried – not about his injuries but his ill father at home.
“My dad needs regular dialysis He has kidney problems,” Boon-chuay Pimsamrit said.
Boonchuay was sent to Petcharavej Hospital after a grenade hit his rented home on Ekamai Soi 30 in Bangkok on Thursday night. 
While the attack – which very likely was directed at someone else – caused several wounds on his body and head, his wounds are not life-threatening.
Boonchuay, 41, firmly believed he was an innocent victim.
“The actual target must have been someone important, not me,” he said.
Just 200 metres away from his home is the residence of Consti-tutional Court Judge Jaran Pukditanakul Many grenades have been fired at politically related sites since the ongoing wave of political violence erupted in Bangkok late last year.
Three explosions were heard in Jaran’s neighbourhood on Thursday night alone, the eve of the scheduled reading of a key ruling. 
The Constitutional Court yesterday ruled to nullify the February 2 general election.
Pol Colonel Supoj Promsiri, a deputy commander of Metropolitan Police Division 5, inspected the two grenade-hit houses, which were just a few hundred metres from Jaran’s home.
He refused to confirm whether the attack was likely intended for the house of the Constitutional Court judge.
Also yesterday, bullets were fired at the Pheu Thai Party coordinating centre of red shirt leader Suporn Attawong in Nakhon Ratchasima There were no casualties.
Boonchuay was the only person injured in Thursday’s attack.
Thursday was also Boonchuay’s last day of work at an automobile company, where he had worked as a driver. 
He tendered his resignation after being reprimanded for often taking days off and sometimes disappearing from office during work hours.
“I had rushed back home to help my dad with a dialysis during the lunch break in the past three months Sometimes it’s not possible to report back to work on time,” Boonchuay explained.
Petcharavej Hospital executive Wiwat Butrakas sympathised with Boonchuay’s plight and called the automobile company yesterday in a bid to keep him employed.
Boonchuay said he would rush home to care for his father immediately after he was discharged from hospital. 
Wiwat said doctors would need to examine Boonchuay again, especially his head injuries, before deciding on whether he could return home.
Boonchuay has been assured that local health officials will perform kidney dialysis for his father during his stay in hospital.
Winai Baramee, the owner of the rented house, said the grenade victim lived with his elderly parents.

Most view