Defence Ministry will not release evidence related to Abhisit's conscription

national July 19, 2012 00:00

By The Nation

3,737 Viewed

The Defence Ministry will not make a public disclosure of the evidence related to the conscription records of Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva for fear of politicising the issue.



 

The Defence Ministry will not make a public disclosure of the evidence related to the conscription records of Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva for fear of politicising the issue.
“The evidence has been submitted to the Office of Ombudsman and I don’t know about its implications for Abhisit or for politics,” Defence Minister Sukumpol Suwanatat said on Thursday.
Sukumpol said as far as he knew, a conscription officer had been discharged on the grounds of disciplinary violations after being involving in an alleged falsification of Abhisit’s military records to enable him to receive an appointment as lecturer at the Royal Chulachomklao Military Academy.
The job granted Abhisit the privilege of serving out his mandatory military service in lieu of being drafted almost three decades ago.
The questions in connection with Abhisit’s conscription records had been raised and rebutted several times in Parliament.
The case came into the limelight again after Abhisit initiated a libel lawsuit against red-shirt leader Jatuporn Promphan in 2010. The judicial review is ongoing.
As politicals tension rose in connection with reconciliation and charter change, the Pheu Thai Party’s legal team filed a compliant in May requesting a new round of investigation.
Reacting to the complaint, the ombudsman is in the process of collecting evidence before making a ruling on the Abhisit case.
 
 

Most view