The Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) has cancelled all its meetings from Friday to Sunday as a final decision has yet to be made on whether the emergency decree would continue being imposed, CMPO member Tarit Pengdith said.
Tarit, who also heads the Department of Special Investigation, said the CMPO discussed the issue of extending the decree Thursday, though no definite decision has been made. However, he said, many members did not see the need to extend the state of emergency, preferring instead that it be replaced with the less strict Internal Security Act (ISA).
He said the CMPO would only hold a press conference when necessary.
Tarit added that legal action taken as a consequence of the emergency decree could not be stopped, citing the 58 people who had been charged for alleged insurrection and 371 cases of blocking the election.
“According to the Special Branch Police and intelligence agencies, the PDRC [People’s Democratic Reform Committee] leaders moved their rally to Lumpini Park and are holding forums on national reform because they want to use these activities to defend themselves over charges of insurrection and obstruction,” he said.