13 cops tasked with investigating core Democrats
The Metropolitan Police chief, who was recently under scrutiny for posing for a photograph with fugitive former PM Thaksin Shinawatra, yesterday set up team of 13 cops to investigate core Democrat Party members in a defamation complaint filed by the former leader.Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt General Kamronwit Thupkrajang signed an order putting his deputy, Pol Maj-General Anuchai Lekbamrung, in charge of the case. He also listed the 13 officers he wants to investigate the case in the same memo. The investigation team will be holding its first meeting at the Lumpini Police Station on Tuesday.
On October 17, Thaksin's lawyer Worawit Lahlaeng and Pheu Thai Party spokesman Promphong Nopparit filed a defamation complaint on Thaksin's behalf at the Lumpini Police Station.
In the complaint, it was alleged that Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, former Democrat secretary-general Suthep Thaugsuban and other key Democrats, including Korn Chatikavanij, Sathit Pitutecha and Sirichoke Sopha had made comments defaming him at a political rally in Lumpini Park on October 13.
Thaksin claims that the Democrat Party members defamed him by saying that he had ordered the so-called "men in black" to attack troops and protesters and that he was behind the prolonged 2010 red-shirt protest.
In his order to set up the investigation team, Kamronwit said it had to be done because Thaksin was a former prime minister and the accused were merely MPs. He also stated that both sides would be treated with fairness.
In June, Kamronwit met the former leader overseas and posed for a photograph showing Thaksin giving him police medals.
The investigative team will hold the first meeting at the Lumpini police station on October 30.
The 13 officers on the investigative are:
1) Pol Col Sukhun Prommayon, deputy commander of Metropolitan Police Division 5
2) Pol Col Rangsan Praditphol, Lumpini police station commander
3) Pol Col Samrit Ketyaem, a specialist of Metropolitan Police Division 5
4) Pol Lt Col Decha Promsuwan, a specialist of Lumpini police stastion
5) Pol Lt Col Yut Thongyu, a specialist of Lumpini police station
6) Pol Lt Col Siripong Phumlaojaeng, a specialist of Makkasan police station
7) Pol Lt Col Pairat Sailert, a specialist of Makkasan police station
8) Pol Lt Col Sunatpol Niramitsupachet, a specialist of Makkasan police station
9) Pol Lt Col Samak Panyawon, a specialist of Lumpini police station
10) Pol Lot Col Sarit Sitnasri, a specialist of Wat Phrayakrai police station
11) Pol Maj Yutthasilp Karin, a specialist of Bang Na police station
12) Pol Capt Adisak Laodee, an investigator of Lumpini Police station
13) Pol Lt Pakorn Thongchin, an investigator of Lumpini Police station.