The Nation

opinion

Smaller
Larger

Israeli settlements and land grabs spurred crisis

Although many problems need to be resolved before there can be peace between Israel and the Palestinians, the biggest problem is Israel's refusal to stop building settlements.

Why is that such a big problem? Imagine, dear reader, that you're sitting across from me at a table and there is a big piece of cake between us. Suppose I say: "I'll cut it in half and we can share it." But then I proceed to eat 90 per cent of the cake, split the remaining 10 per cent in half and say: "This is your 50 per cent."

Would that be fair? Israel thinks so.

Eric Bahrt

Pattaya


Comments conditions

Users are solely responsible for their comments.We reserve the right to remove any comment and revoke posting rights for any reason withou prior notice.