Civil Court's order disrupts peacekeeping works : CMPO
February 25, 2014 00:00 By
The Civil Court ruling prohibiting harsh action against anti-government protesters has disrupted the peacekeeping operation of the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO), said CMPO member.
Tarit Pengdith said CMPO has suspended its move to reclaim public areas occupied by protesters of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) following the court’s verdict last week. He said the authorities could only take photos of PDRC activities for legal action in the future, adding that protesters yesterday seized five government buildings, including the Customs Department, Foreign Ministry, Energy Ministry, Finance Ministry and Revenue Department. They also sealed off Voice TV station and M-Link Asia Corporation Plc, he said. The CMPO would submit photos of the PDRC activities to the Appeals Court to ask for more power in dealing with protesters following restrictions by the Civil Court. The CMPO yesterday adjusted its assignment of police personnel keeping public order in the capital and assigned 2,000 more police officers to provide safety for the public, said Tarit. He said the document to deport Indian businessman Satish Sehgal is awaiting approval from the CMPO after which it would be delivered to the Immigration Department for final action. Satish was charged with co-leading PDRC anti-government activities.