Court rejects arrest warrants for suspects, citing lack of evidence
February 13, 2014 00:00
By The Nation
The Criminal Court on Thursday declined to approve arrest warrants sought by police for three men seen carrying and firing weapons during the shooting at the Lak Si area earlier this month.
It said that pictorial evidence obtained from social media alone was not sufficient. Suspect Wiwat Yordprasit is accused of being the so-called “popcorn gunman” who fired an automatic weapon from a large plastic sack. Police said Wiwat is also wanted on a drug-related offence. The other man whose face has been seen in images is allegedly Surachet Treenoppharat, while the third man was identified merely as Danai. Police have identified Surachat and Danai as security guards working for the antigovernment People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC). The shooting took place on February 1, one day before the snap election, when PDRC protesters travelled to Lak Si district office to blockade a ballot-storage site inside the compound. They were confronted by a group of progovernment red shirts, and gunfights ensued, leaving six people wounded. An ongoing investigation has yet to determine which side opened fire, or whether there were armed men blending in with the redshirt crowd shooting at PDRC protesters.