Ex-MP vows to fight court's move to suspend his bail in terrorism case
Red-shirt leader Jatuporn Promphan yesterday threatened to file a police complaint against the Constitution Court for making a false statement against him.
The case came to light on Thursday after the high court authorised its legal counsel to file a motion seeking revocation of Jatuporn’s bail on terrorism charges at the Criminal Court.
At the high court’s request, the lower court will on Monday convene a bail-review hearing, he said, vowing to fight for a stay of his bail.
He said the high court had neither the mandate nor the justification to intervene in his temporary release pending the completion of the judicial review of terrorism charges against him in connection with the 2010 political strife.
The high court had no role in the judicial review of terrorism cases, he said, arguing the bail review, if deemed necessary, should be initiated by public prosecutors and not by the high court.
He said the high court was retaliating against his criticism of its decision to intervene in charter change.
Jatuporn’s lawyer Winyat Chartmontri yesterday questioned the Constitution Court’s powers to seek revocation of his client’s bail. He said this was the duty of public prosecutors or another party directly involved in the case.
The lawyer said the Criminal Court has accepted the petition and summoned Jatuporn to testify on July 23. He said Jatuporn would testify in person, along with witnesses on his behalf, whom the lawyer declined to identify.
He noted that in addition to Jatuporn, other red-shirt leaders such as Natthawut Saikua and Yoswalit Chooklom had addressed the recent red-shirt gatherings during which threats against Constitution Court judges were made. “But only Jatuporn has been targeted for bail revocation,” he added.
In a related development, Justice Minister Pracha Promnok said yesterday that a Justice Ministry fund would post Bt26 million as bond for the temporary release of 13 red shirts convicted and imprisoned for arson attacks in Mukdahan in May 2010 pending an appellate review.
The arson attacks followed crowd-dispersal operations at the red-shirt rally at Ratchaprasong in Bangkok.
The provincial court sentenced the 13 to 20 years and eight months each in jail for torching the provincial hall. The case involving the 13 is undergoing appellate review.
At the Justice Ministry’s intervention, bail applications were filed seeking temporary release for red-shirt arsonists, comprising four in Ubon Ratchathani, five in Udon Thani, nine in Maha Sarakham and the 13 in Mukdahan.
The Mukdahan court approved the bail applications on Thursday. The actual release of the 13 will hinge on the posting of Bt2 million surety each.
Pracha said he had authorised his ministry to put up the bail bond. He refused to comment on accountability for the taxpayers’ money if the 13 jumped bail.
The red shirts will hold a rally calling for genuine democracy tomorrow – a symbolic date, as June 24, 1932 was the day the administration system in Thailand changed from absolute to constitutional monarchy.
Red-shirt spokesman Vorawut Wichaidit said the objective of the rally is to recall those who sacrificed from 1932 till May 19, 2010. The spokesman said the red shirts will continue fighting against coups d’etat, whether military or judicial.
Tomorrow’s rally will be staged at Democracy Monument on Rajdamnoen Avenue from 12pm to midnight, under the theme “80 years of non-democracy”. It will include speeches by red-shirt leaders and some red academics, as well as a resumption of the drive to impeach the seven Constitution Court judges who supported the verdict suspending charter amendment. The drive seeks 100,000 signatures, having obtained 50,000 so far.