Court rejects suit against Yingluck over 2011 floods
July 17, 2014 00:00 By The Nation
The Administrative Court yesterday dismissed a lawsuit filed by 10 Nakhon Pathom residents against former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra and 10 state agencies and officials over the major flooding in 2011.
The lawsuit accused the defendants of mismanaging water and thus causing flooding in the low-lying areas of Tha Chin River, Chao Phraya River and Bang Pakong River. It said they had also closed sluice gates and set up barriers and as a result the flood waters inundated Nakhon Pathom, leading to pollution and property damage. The plaintiffs had sought Bt3.7 million in compensation from the defendants and provision of a flood-prevention plan.
The court said that between June and October 2011, there had been many storms and high tides, which had caused the flooding. It said the defendants had tried to drain water as appropriate and had prevented flooding in inner Bangkok and economic zones, which would otherwise have affected a majority of the people.
The court also stated that the defendants had paid Bt5,000 compensation to the affected residents along with other remedial measures.
Dismissing the lawsuit, the court ruled that there were no grounds to find them guilty of negligence of duty and order compensation.