NCPO crackdown on weapons and rebels 'making progress'
June 04, 2014 00:00 By The Nation 2,542 Viewed
The National Council for Peace and Order yesterday announced progress in its crackdown on war weapons and people showing a tendency for armed resistance against the military's seizure of power.
NCPO spokesman Colonel Winthai Suvari said a lot of war weapons had been found to be discarded after the NCPO came to power last month. Among the large caches of arms discovered was a set containing 27 rocket-propelled grenades and five boxes of war weapon munitions in Chon Buri, he added.
He said an order banning the public gathering of more than five people remained effective, but non-violent measures would be adopted against potential violators.
Police yesterday arrested a man seen in online photos deflating the tyres of a military vehicle during an anti-coup rally at Victory Monument on May 28 in violation of the NCPO order.
The man was identified as Sombat Komaiphan, and has been charged with causing damage to government property.
Deputy Bangkok police chief Pol Maj-General Amnuay Nimmano said there were 12 other anti-coup protesters under police watch against whom arrest warrants have been issued by a military court.
Meanwhile, police have obtained arrest warrants for seven men suspected of carrying out a deadly attack on protesters at a Trat rally against the Yingluck-government in February, national police chief Pol General Aek Angsananont said yesterday.
The seven have been identified as Jakkrapong, Watchara, Narong and Wiroj of the Krajangklang family, Bunjit Sudkhampha, Somsak Phoolsawas and Nuam Amphai. There are two other unidentified suspects against whom police need to gather further evidence, he added.
Meanwhile, several people reported to the NCPO at the Army Auditorium in Bangkok’s Thewes area yesterday in response to the summons. They included red-shirt Phreuk Phrueksunan, known as Lungyim Taswang by his Facebook name.