2 boys die from electrocution in Sukhumvit condo block
May 31, 2014 00:00 By The Nation 12,013 Viewed
Two teenage boys, one American and the other Iranian, were electrocuted near a swimming pool at a condominium in central Bangkok yesterday.
Paul Dougherty and Daryush Hosseini, both 16 and students at an international school, were visiting friends at Charming Resident in Soi Sukhumvit 22. The boys were swimming in the pool, on the ninth floor of the building.
Witnesses told Thong Lor police that Dougherty got out of the pool and leaned against a light pole briefly before collapsing from electrocution. Hosseini then tried to pull Dougherty away, before he too succumbed to electric shocks.
Police said later that an inquiry was underway to try to determine if electricity was “leaking” near the light pole.
They warned that owners of the building would be charged over the boys’ deaths, if that was confirmed.