Base jump from new WTC condemned as 'lawless, selfish'
March 26, 2014 00:00
By Deutsche Presse Agentur
New York - New York City authorities on Tuesday condemned a "lawless and selfish" parachute jump from the top of nation's tallest building.
The jump from One World Trade Center through the lower part of New York City "clearly endangered the public," Port Authority chief security officer Joseph Dunne said. He vowed that the Port Authority, which owns the site, and police"will go to any length to bring those who defile the WTC site tojustice.
"The New York Police Department on Monday arrested four men, who were charge with burglary, reckless endangerment and jumping from astructure.
"These men violated the law and placed themselves, as well as others, in danger," NYPD Commissioner William Bratton said. "These arrests should send a message to anyone thinking about misusing a landmark this way."
Three men jumped by parachute through the dark while a fourth man kept watch below at 3 am on September 30.
They filmed the stunt with cameras attached to their helmets as they landed at a designated spot near a highway in the city, according to The New York Times.
The men climbed the stairs of the 104-floor building without encountering any security guards.The jump raised concerns about the security of the new World Trade Center, which is being built in the same area where once the iconicTwin Towers were felled by two hijacked planes on September 11, 2001.
Last week, 16-year-old Justin Casquejo managed to reach the roof ofthe World Trade Center by slipping through a fence, taking an elevator to the 88th floor and sneaking past security guards. He even climbed the building's metal spire but was arrested on his way out atthe lobby.
"We just kind of walked in," Andrew Rossig, 33, one of the parachutists, was quoted in The New York Times as saying.
"It's supposed to be the most secure building in the world. God forbid itwas somebody else getting in there with a real intention to harm New Yorkers."