February 11, 2014 00:00 By The Nation 2,414 Viewed
THE DEPARTMENT of Special Investigation will today release the names of people suspected of helping to fund the People's Democratic Reform Committee's anti-government movement.
DSI chief Tarit Pengdith said the list would be separated into three groups. The first is 58 people regarded as suspects after being charged in connection with DSI special cases. |The others are 31 people still under DSI investigation and an unknown number of people under investigation by the police Special Branch.
Tarit said officials had used emergency decree powers to suspend those under investigation from making financial transactions but their assets had not been frozen. “Those two groups of people are not yet suspects,” Tarit said.
“They will be invited to explain suspicious financial transactions. If they can clarify suspicions, then there is no problem.”
Anti-Money Laundering Office secretary general Pol Colonel Sihanart Prayoonrat said the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order would summon all people suspected as financing PDRC rallies for questioning. He said people who failed to show up would face up to two years in prison and a fine of up to Bt40,000. If there was sufficient evidence against them, they would be charged in accordance with the emergency decree.
Sihanart said police told the CMPO they were working on 119 cases in connection with election obstruction and 80 cases involving poll officials neglecting their duty. Arrest warrants had been issued for 37 people in relation to these.