At least 150 killed in SW China quake: state media
August 03, 2014 21:02 2,011 Viewed
BEIJING - At least 150 people were killed and 1,300 injured after a strong earthquake hit southwest China's mountainous Yunnan province Sunday, state media said.
The quake in Zhaotong prefecture, in the province's northeast, toppled buildings and left residents frantically searching for survivors beneath the rubble, images on social media showed.
"At least 150 people were killed," the official news agency Xinhua reported.
"Too many buildings were damaged and we are collecting data on deaths and injuries," Xinhua quoted a local official as saying from the township of Longtoushan, at the epicentre of the quake.
China News Service, the country's second state news agency, said more than 1,300people had been injured and 12,000 houses had collapsed.
State television broadcast footage of people running from their homes and gathering in the street, as witnesses described the devastation on social media.
"The walls of several buildings crumbled, and water pipes were ruptured. The electricity was cut off," wrote a user who said they lived in Ludian county, 23 kilometres (14 miles) from the epicentre, on China's Twitter-like Weibo.