Australia to host three-way meeting on MH370 search
May 02, 2014 00:00
KUALA LUMPUR - Australia will host a meeting with Malaysia and China next week to determine the way forward in the frustrating search for flight MH370, officials said in Kuala Lumpur on Friday.
The Canberra meeting, announced by Australia's MH370 search chief Angus Houston, follows the decision this week to scale back the costly search operation in the Indian Ocean that has so far turned up no evidence that the Malaysia Airlines jet crashed.
"That's a very important meeting because it will formalise the way ahead to ensure that this search continues with urgency and doesn't stop at any stage," said Houston, who is on a brief visit to Malaysia.
Malaysian Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein, who spoke to reporters in Kuala Lumpur along with Houston, said he would attend.
Officials have said recently that more sophisticated assets may need to be brought in for the so-far fruitless search of the Indian Ocean seabed for wreckage.
An intensive aerial search for surface wreckage from flight MH370 officially ended Wednesday, with ships also moving out of the remote search zone.