Saudi Arabia reports three more deaths from SARS-like infection
May 30, 2013 00:00 2,098 Viewed
Riyadh - Three more people have died in Saudi Arabia from a SARS-like coronavirus, health authorities said Thursday, bringing to 21 the number of deaths from the disease in the kingdom.
The three victims of the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) were all Saudis and died in the country's Eastern Province, where most cases have been recorded, the Health Ministry said.
They all suffered from kidney failure and other chronic illnesses, it said.
The ministry announced that a new case of the illness had been identified, also in the Eastern Province, in a Saudi man suffering from renal failure.
The total number of MERS-CoV cases detected in the kingdom stands at 38, according to the ministry.
The World Health Organization in a May 29 update said it had been informed of "a total of 49 laboratory-confirmed cases of infection with MERS-CoV, including 27 deaths." Most cases occurred in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates.
There were also cases in Britain, France, Germany and Tunisia linked to travel to the Middle East, the WHO said.//DPA