Linksys launches new dual band Wi-Fi router based on AC protocol
May 22, 2014 00:00 By The Nation
Linksys has launched the new Linksys WRT1900AC Dual Band Wi-Fi Router, which is inspired by the original WRT54G iconic blue/black stack-able form factor.
The new router has a modernised spin and is based on more powerful hardware. Among other things, it uses a dual-core 1.2 GHz processor, four removable antennas (instead of the standard three) and eSata and USB 2.0/3.0 connectivity ports.
The new WRT1900AC ships with Linksys Smart Wi-Fi set-up and management tools and will be the first Linksys router to include the Network Map feature.
Linksys has also been working with the OpenWRT community to make an open source firmware downloadable when product is available.
The new WRT will be the world’s first open source compatible router to support a dual core 1.2 Ghz processor, 4 removable and customized antennas, 128MB flash memory and an eSATA port.
According to Linksys, the WRT1900AC has following hardware specifications:
- 80211ac Wi-Fi (backward-compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n)
- Speeds up to 1300 Mbps on the 5 GHz band
- Speeds up to 600 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band
- Gigabit WAN & LAN ports
- 1 x eSATA/USB 2.0 port
- 1 x USB 3.0 port
- 1.2 GHz dual-core ARM-based processor
- 128MB flash memory
- 256MB DDR3 RAM
- Four exchangeable external antennas
WRT1900AC software has following features:
- Browser-based setup for installation from device PC/Mac, smartphone or tablet
- Can be configured as: router, range extender (aka repeater) or wireless bridge
- Ability to hide SSID broadcast
- Setup wizard sets up two SSIDs, one per radio band
- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi can be accessed from a browser or the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi app for iOS and Android
- Share printers or storage devices through USB or eSATA
- Built-in DLNA-certified media server and FTP server to share files
- Drag-and-drop media prioritization to prioritize bandwidth for devices, applications or games
- Parental controls to prevent access to websites or block access during certain hours
- Dynamic DNS services supported: No-IP, DynDNS and TZO
- Built-in speed test to test broadband upload and download speed
- Open source ready
The Linksys WRT1900AC Dual-Band Wireless-AC is available for Bt9,890 at the following retailers: Pantip Plaza, IT Mall Fortune, Zeer Rungsit, and Banana IT.