Yala Governor launches inquiry into torching of CCTV cameras
Yala Governor Detcharaj Simsiri said on Wednesday that his office is investigating reports that the recent torching of 76 closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras in seven districts may not be the work of insurgents.He was referring to comments made by Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who claimed that the torching, which took place on Monday, was the work of the losers in the bidding for the CCTV camera-installation contract and not an insurgent attack.
Chalerm said he had instructed the Yala governor to probe the businesses in question with a view to taking legal action against those who had destroyed state property.
Detcharat added Wednesday that an ad hoc committee had already been set up to investigate the attack.
Defence Minister Sukumphol Suwannatat refused to comment on Chalerm's claim, saying that he would wait for the investigation into the incident.
Asked about the security measures, which have been criticised as being inefficient, Sukhumphol said the existing measures were adequate but needed improvement. There was no need to issue new measures everyday, he said.
With the situation in the South showing some improvement, the insurgents had increased the level of violence and frequency attacks to counter the authorities, the minister said. "I believe that the situation this year will be much better," he added.
Referring to National Security Council's chief Paradorn Pattanathabutr's recent comment that the torching could signal a major attack in the near future, Sukumpol said it was good to be nervous. "It would be good if nothing were happening. But if something happens, it would be better to be prepared," he said.