POLICE ARE eyeing 12 fishing boat crew members, including the boat captain, for their alleged role in the killing of two Indonesian marines in Indonesian waters last week.
Pol Lt Gen Jakthip Chaijina said Indonesia would also be asked to re-open its waters to Thai fishing boats as the fishing industry was losing as much as Bt30 million daily due to the closure.
Jakthip is an aide to the national police chief and leader of the investigation team in this case.
After meeting related agencies, the boat owner and the Indonesian consul general in Songkhla, Jakthip said the investigation team should have completed the gathering of evidence in three days. Also, police would hold back two of the 12 suspects as witnesses.
A source in the investigation team revealed that these two members of the Nattaya 7 crew had reportedly provided details about the killing of the two Indonesian marines. According to their account, Nattaya 7 left Songkhla to fish in Indonesian waters in December. On the night of March 8, a group of Indonesian marines stopped the trawler so they could search it.
Then the marines decided that the trawler needed to dock in Indonesia for further inspection, and left two marines behind to ensure the boat captain followed the instructions.
However, the crew on the fishing trawler allegedly killed the two marines and flung their bodies into the sea.