THE FAMILY of a two-year-old girl fighting for her life after suffering an electric shock when she touched a Siam Commercial Bank ATM in Trang last week has been told to prepare for the worst.
SCB pledged to cover the medical expenses of Parichat “Nong Yok” Noopinit, who was still in a coma yesterday.
In a statement, SCB expressed deep regret over the incident and said the ATM was examined by its technicians and police and was now out of service, while it had elevated measures to monitor the electrical system of its ATMs.
It insisted that all ATMs underwent constant safety checks.
Trang Hospital deputy director Dr Wanthana Sai-ngam said Parichat’s blood pressure had got better but was still low and her brain had not recovered from cerebral hypoxia (reduced oxygen to the brain).
However, she said everything would be done to try and save her.
Parichat’s sister-in-law, Panudda Bumrung, 17, tearfully recounted how she was withdrawing money from the ATM in Yan Ta Khao district last Thursday when the child touched the machine while swinging her arms.
Parichat’s mother, Sukulya Noopinij, 39, said SCB staff had visited her daughter every day since the accident and the bank had given an initial Bt5,000 in assistance money and would take full responsibility for the girl.
She wanted to know how this could happen so it would never occur again.