A fire raged through two karaoke shops in Sadao in Songkhla yesterday morning, killing three people and injuring six others.
Killed at the scene were the owner of Rinda Karaoke, Akkaramanee Jaima, her sister Rangsima Jaima, and Rangsima’s one-year-old daughter.
Their bodies were found on the second floor.
One of the survivors jumped from the third floor to escape the fire and its smoke.
“At this point, we still don’t know how the fire started,” Sadao Police Station superintendent Colonel Weerasan Thanpiam said.
However, he personally suspected burning cigarette butts left behind by some customers may have been the cause.
“It seems the fire started slowly after the shop closed at about 2am,” he said.
It took relevant officials about 30 minutes to control the fire that started from Rinda Karaoke then spread to the neighbouring SK Karaoke.