Suriyan's health worsens

national October 31, 2015 01:00


4,937 Viewed

Lese Majeste accused 'suffering from high blood pressure, liver disease and stress'

HIGH-PROFILE fortune-teller Suriyan Sujaritpolwong, who has been charged with lese majeste, was rushed from his detention cell on Thursday to a prison hospital after suffering a severe headache, stomach pain and difficulty in speaking.

Corrections Department chief Wittaya Suriyawong said yesterday that X-rays and tests at the Correctional Hospital, showed that Suriyan, 53 – better known as ‘Mor Yong’ – has high blood pressure, liver disease, plus stress.
The doctors recommended on Thursday night that he remain in the hospital for more observation. As of press time, it was understood that he was still in the hospital.
Police have charged Suriyan, his secretary Jirawong Wattanathewasilp and Pol Major Prakrom Warunprapa, who recently took his life while in custody, with lese majeste and other criminal charges, including illegal possession of weapons.
Suriyan was a familiar face for those interested in knowing their future. Before he was arrested, he was a PR sub-committee member for two prestigious campaigns – Bike for Mom, which took place in August, and Bike for Dad, scheduled for December.
Police accused him of exploiting the campaigns and extorting money from private companies by linking himself to the Royal Family.
Suriyan and Jirawong were charged in the military court and detained at a special prison in the 11th Military Circle in Dusit district while the Correctional Hospial is in Chatuchak district. 
The Corrections Department chief said that Prakrom had hanged himself in the detention cell. He was pronounced dead in hospital.
Yesterday, Jirawong was taken to the military court to seek further detention after the first period of detention ends today. Colonel Chayut Marayat, an investigator, said that Suriyan could not come because he was sick, so his medical certificate was submitted to the court.
The court agreed to the police request, allowing them to detain both suspects for another 12 days until November 13.
Meanwhile, police accompanied a fourth suspect, Sukho Tamseree, 32, to the Criminal Court to seek an order for further detention. 
The suspect was arrested under a warrant on Thursday night for being in possession of a gun and ammunition without a permit.
His lawyer sought his release on bail but police told the court that Sukho had connections with Suriyan, and if freed he may escape or threaten witnesses.
The court compound was under tight security and crowded with reporters. Sukho was seen handcuffed and looked tired. The court accepted the police claim before he was taken to Bangkok Remand Prison in Chatuchak district. 
Meanwhile, chief investigator Pol Lieutenant Srivara Ransibrahma-nakul said that Sukho had confessed during interrogation to possession of a weapon.
Police had found that Sukho was involved in the lese majeste but they did not have enough evidence to charge him. 
“Police will further investigate and collect evidence to support the case. Work is still in progress,” said Srivara, who is also deputy national police chief.
He will soon call a meeting of the investigation team to learn about progress in the case.

Most view