A fire destroyed 160 golf carts at the Green Valley Golf Club in Chiang Mai's Mae Rim area early yesterday.
Police suspect that a short circuit started the fire at the building where the carts were stored.
Firefighters arrived at the course shortly after 1.30am and took about an hour to get the blaze under control, Pol Lieutenant Yeunyong Pailorm of Mae Rim Police said.
Yeunyong said some 20 carts were saved.
A club security guard told police that he heard a loud noise and upon investigating saw parked carts on fire so he alerted the fire station.
A source at Summit Green Valley Chiang Mai Country Club Co, which runs the club, said that the building was located 50 metres from the sports club and the damage bill was estimated to be at least Bt30 million.
The golf club is part of the 1,000-rai Chiang Mai Green Valley project, which includes a high-end housing state.
It was reported that former prime ministers Thaksin Shinawatra and Somchai Wongsawat and their relatives bought properties there.