Ex-monk 'ready to fight allegations in US'

national August 04, 2013 00:00

By The Sunday Nation

3,181 Viewed

A monk, who was close to the scandal-hit former-monk Wirapol Sukphol, told Department of Special Investigation (DSI) officers yesterday that Wirapol, formerly known as Luang Pu Nenkham, was in the US still wearing his robes, and ready to fight cases again



Phra Thakrit Kanthadhammo, who was Wirapol’s spokesman, said the ex-monk wanted to return to Thailand, but since his passport had been revoked and the DSI had issued a warrant for his arrest, he would fight the allegations in the US. According to Phra Thakrit, Wirapol will ask a US court to rule on whether the DSI’s arrest warrant is lawful, as the statuary rape charge was already more than 10 years old. 
Phra Thakrit also insisted that Wirapol hadn’t spent Bt10 million a day and didn’t have over Bt40 million in bank accounts as accused. He said the allegations most likely stemmed from a misunderstanding about Wirapol’s preaching to raise funds for the construction of a Roi Et hospital, which yielded Bt40 million in donations. All money went to the hospital’s account, he said. 
Thakrit said he didn’t know about luxury car purchases by Wirapol, because he was only with the ex-monk for a year. He said the ex-monk had no private jet and the Louis Vuitton bag spotted on a video clip of the ex-monk’s alleged jet-setting lifestyle only cost Bt200-300.