The Nation

national

Smaller
Larger

Botulism infections put four people in coma

Four people were in a coma from clostridium botulism infections in Chaiyaphum's Muang district.

They reportedly consumed fermented bamboo shoots without boiling them first, Chaiyaphum Hospital director Dr Sompong Charoenvatthana said yesterday.

The four victims - three women and one man - were visiting a friend in Nong Bua Daeng district when they bought the fermented bamboo shoots from a market and made a meal without boiling the shoots first. The four developed clostridium botulism infection symptoms within 30 minutes and were rushed to the hospital on April 21. Two of them were later transferred to a Chon Buri hospital for better access by relatives.

Sompong urged people to boil fermented bamboo shoots at 120 degrees Celsius to kill clostridium botulism bacteria that might be in the shoots.




Comments conditions

Users are solely responsible for their comments.We reserve the right to remove any comment and revoke posting rights for any reason withou prior notice.