Ammonia leak from an ice factory in Uttaradit's Muang district yesterday left a Myanmarese worker injured, while other workers and residents were evacuated for safety reasons.
Surachai Thatchakawinm from the provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office said the worker, identified as Laso, was found unconscious after inhaling the gas. He was rushed to Uttaradit Hospital and is now safe.
He said the continuous use of the ice-producing machine to meet higher demands could have caused the leak.
Uttaradit Municipality sent officials to help workers and residents move away from the site, after which a fire truck sprayed water in the area to dilute the chemical. Later, a municipality official, dressed in a protective suit, entered the site to close the pipe’s valve, Surachai said. The pipe was repaired later.