A fire on Thursday afternoon at an ornament factory in Ayutthaya's Bang Pa-in district killed one worker and injured 107 others.
Of the injured, 12 were initially in serious condition but are safe now. The 28-year-old victim who died showed no complications initially, but succumbed to problems with the circulatory system yesterday morning. Autopsy results verifying the cause of the death will be available next month.
The Public Health Ministry did not rule out that a chemical fire had caused the death, saying autopsy results will provide the evidence. However, district chief Nathee Borsuwan said the fire did not spread chemical toxins because the smoke "did not smell of chemicals".
Amphorn Nitisiri, director-general of the Department of Labour Protection and Welfare, said a worker rang the emergency bell when welding work caused too much smoke. She claimed that more than 40 workers passed out because they were exposed to the heat outside the factory and not toxic smoke inside. "The fire was not caused by faulty occupational safety measures," she said.