Yingluck case officially over, but she remains on the run

politics October 31, 2017 15:23

By The Nation

3,098 Viewed

The Attorney General’s Office has confirmed that the case concerning dereliction of duty by former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra is over as neither side has filed an appeal.



The deadline for the appeals was on Friday, 30 days after the court ruled against Yingluck, who was accused of failing to prevent corruption in her government’s rice-pledging scheme.

Surasak Treerattrakul, the office’s inspector-general, acting as a vice chair of the panel responsible for the case, said Attorney General Khemchai Chutiwong had made an official remark about the case on Friday. Khemchai had said that the court ruling had followed the office’s indictment, so the office did not file an appeal.

Surasak said that, as the case is now over, it would follow legal procedures to ensure that the convicted person was found and served her penalty.

He added that a statue of limitations would not apply, in line with the new law on legal procedures against politicians. This meant that, if a person wished to flee, they would have to be on the run for their entire life.

Kittinan Tatpramuk, director-general of the AGO’s investigation department, said the AGO had not separated charges against Yingluck, but wrapped them up into one count for failing to prevent corruption in the rice-pledging scheme.

Although the court ruled that she had failed to prevent corruption in rice distribution in government-to-government deals, the office viewed that this was part of the one count. As the court had already delivered the ruling accordingly, the office decided not to file an appeal, said Kittinan.