Arrest warrants have been issued for 16 more suspects in an alleged Ponzi scheme connected to an illegal company that was raided by police last month.
Deputy Tourist Police chief Maj-General Surachate Hakpan told a press conference on Monday that arrest warrants were issued for the 16 suspects on August 10. Ten of the suspects were arrested, two surrendered and four fled to other countries, he said.
OD Capital, the company allegedly involved, was not registered with Thai authorities. It was operating as a holding company that reportedly invested in other businesses in Britain and Malaysia, Surachate said.
Many people have stepped forward to claim they had lost millions of baht in the alleged pyramid scheme, resulting in the police investigation in early July, Surachate said.
This led to the arrest warrants for 32 suspects, 29 of whom were arrested while three fled to other countries.
Surachate said police were interrogating the suspects in custody and would contact the Anti-Money Laundering Office to probe money transactions, confiscate any ill-gotten assets and file an additional money-laundering charge.
One of damaged persons, former DJ Nawaporn Taothong, said she had initially invested Bt200,000 in the OD Capital scheme in 2016 after an invitation from her ex-boyfriend Saharat Werot, 34, who was one of the first-batch of suspects.
She had been promised a high return and then was told that the system had a problem and was unable to return her money. She filed a police complaint after she found that the suspect had approached other women in the same manner to invest in the scheme.