Former deputy commerce minister Banyin Tangpakorn, indicted by prosecutors on charges of colluding in the premeditated killing of billionaire Chuwong Sae-tang in an apparent 2015 car accident, was granted a Bt2-million bail release on Thursday with a condition not to leave the country without a court's permission and not to tamper with evidence.
He was called to testify in court on July 9.
Prayuth Phetkhun, deputy spokesman for the Office of the Attorney-General, told a press conference that the 56-year-old Banyin was indicted for colluding in the premeditated murder of Chuwong and colluding to murder Chuwong to secure benefit. He could face the death penalty.
Prayuth said the prosecutor's case against Banyin may be merged with the murder lawsuit filed by Chuwong's family, according to the court's discretion.
Construction tycoon Chuwong, 50, was found dead in the front passenger seat of a car driven by uninjured Banyin that hit a tree beside a road in Prawet district of Bangkok on June 26, 2015.
Chuwong’s relatives’ complained that the death was suspicious, given that shares worth Bt260 million had been transferred to two women just days before his death.