File photo
File photo

At least 24 more officials face probe in education fund corruption scandal

national April 24, 2018 01:00

By The Nation

AT LEAST 24 more officials are expected to be investigated by the Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission over their alleged role in the embezzlement of the Educational Fund for Life Development.



The office’s acting secretary-general, Lt-Colonel Korntip Daroj, said yesterday that the commission would be asked to launch the probe at its meeting this coming Thursday. 

“Based on information from the Education Ministry’s inspector-general, we believe at least 24 officials should be investigated,” he said. The alleged corruption of the Educational Fund for Life Development, which had start-up funding of Bt600 million, was exposed last month. 

Rojana Sintee, a C8-ranked official, has claimed sole responsibility for the large-scale corruption that dragged on for more than a decade. The Education Ministry fired Rojana and is pursuing further investigations on suspicion that she might have had accomplices. Korntip said the Anti-Money Laundering Office had also helped check the financial flows from the fund. 

Korntip’s office is currently investigating several big corruption cases. Asked about the progress in the investigation of corruption in the protection centres for the destitute, Korntip said preliminary investigations had found irregularities at 56 centres. 

“The Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission has already ordered further probes against 33 centres,” he said. He believed the commission would approve additional probes at its coming meeting. Korntip said investigations are ongoing at protection centres in 17 provinces.

Korntip said to date, probes had found no irregularities at protection centres for the destitute in Prachin Buri and Nakhon Si Thammarat. The Social Development and Human Security Ministry operates one protection centre for the destitute in every province.

 

Most view