Three members of the Network to Reclaim Doi Suthep Forest, have cancelled a symbolic march they began on Wednesday from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, citing fears that the activity would be used by those with “hidden agendas”.
Krit Yiammetha, Direk Chantharadilok and Saruth Srithaworn planned to walk to the capital city to present a petition to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha asking him to use Article 44 of the interim charter to halt construction of Appeals Court buildings and 45 residences at the foot of Doi Suthep mountain in the northern province.
Krit said many people with ill-intentions had tried to infiltrate or get involved in the march so as to use it in instigating or campaigning for disunity, which was not what he and the other two volunteers intended.
“We did a peaceful march out of a sincere intention to ask the premier's help – not for other purposes,” Krit said, noting there had been no collection of donations associated with the march.
To prevent the activity from becoming a tool for others, they had announced ended the end of the march and would later announce details explaining their decision, he said.
The network’s petition at Change.org had gained the support of 38,268 people by 1pm on Thursday. The target is 50,000.
Meanwhile Court of Justice secretary-general Sarawut Benjakul and spokesman Suriyan Hongwilai will hold a press conference in Bangkok on Thursday afternoon about the mountain construction project.