The Bangkok Military Court rejected a bail request filed yesterday by relatives of Wanna Suansan, the only female suspect in the deadly Erawan Shrine bomb attack in 2015.
This was revealed by Phang Nga village head Ibrohem Khomkham on behalf of the defendant’s family, which presented assets worth Bt690,000 as collateral.
Police reportedly objected on the grounds that the investigation was ongoing and Wanna might flee the country, said Ibrohem, who is also Wanna’s distant relative. The family and their lawyer would have discussions after Wanna’s first 12-day detention ends to consider whether to file another bail request, he added. They said they would inform Wanna, who is currently detained at the Khlong Prem Prison, about the court decision before returning to Phang Nga.
The 29-year-old Phang Nga native – who returned to Thailand last Wednesday along with her two young children and is pregnant with her third child – was taken into court-ordered detention last Thursday.
Ibrohem said last week that the family believed Wanna should be granted bail because she didn’t know any of the other suspects, except her Turkish husband Emrah Davutoglu. Davutoglu is also a suspect and reportedly hopes to return to Thailand to face the allegations against him. Ibrohem had said Wanna and Davutoglu were in Turkey when the bomb attack occurred.
Wanna is now charged with many counts in connection with the blast that struck the world-famous Erawan Shrine in the heart of Bangkok on August 17, 2015 and caused huge casualties. Wanna has lived under house arrest with her husband in Turkey for the past few years.
She is alleged to have rented rooms for suspected bombers Adem Karadag and Yusufu Mierali, who were friends of Davutoglu.
Karadag and Mierali have been held at a special detention facility at the 11th Army Circle headquarters pending court interviews with 100 prosecution witnesses.