VOCATIONAL colleges with a record of student brawls will be banned from enrolling new students next year.
Chaiphruek Serirak, secretary-general of the Office of Vocational Education Commission (Ovec), said yesterday this measure – implemented in Ayutthaya earlier – would apply to both public and private colleges. There were five colleges on the watch-list, he said.
The issue had been discussed with colleges across the country and he had instructed them to come up with a plan to prevent brawls that is in line with the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) chief’s recently issued order. He said the plan should be submitted to Ovec within two weeks.
As some brawls had taken place since the order was issued, including a fight between 10 students in Samut Prakan, he said the children’s parents would be required to place a bond of Bt5,000 each. The money would be returned if their child was not involved in a brawl for two years.
“Ovec is considering more severe measures against public and private institutes that have a history of student brawls,” Chaiyaphreuk said. “Now we are monitoring five colleges closely. If any of them neglect to implement preventative measures and the brawls continue, then the college in question will be banned from enrolling new students next year.”
Meanwhile, acting Metropolitan Police chief Pol Lt-General Sanit Mahathaworn warned parents, teachers and senior students that the NCPO would hold them accountable if they were deemed guilty of neglecting or instigating brawls.
Sanit said city police were told to survey and produce a record of students believed to have a tendency for brawling or street racing, so notifications can be sent to their parents and teachers. He said once a youth knows their parents will be involved, they will think twice before fighting or racing on the street.
In regard to an incident on Monday that lead to the death of a new female student near Soi Ram Inthra 109 in Bang Chan, Sanit said police had identified a suspect, who was part of a group that had a previous record of carrying weapons and assault. They would contact his teachers and parents to get him to surrender.
Another incident took place at 6pm on Monday when four students on two motorcycles fired a shotgun at bus No 131 near Soi Sihaburanukit 18 in Min Buri to target a group of Kanchanapisek Maha Nakhon Technical College students onboard. The shooting led to three students and a Myanmar bystander from getting injured.
Police spokesman Pol General Dechnarong Sutticharnbancha said national police chief Pol General Chakthip Chaijinda had told police to put preventive measures in place, including monitoring social media.
“The order under the interim charter’s Article 44 will accommodate police work and reduce brawls. Police can detain students joining or planning to launch a brawl for six hours and parents will be required to place a deposit, which will be confiscated if the kids re-offend. Those instigating student brawls will face three months to a year in jail,” he said.