Police have said they are closing in on the initial source of the fake palace announcement, which spread on social media last week.
Police spokesperson Lt-General Prawut Thavornsiri said yesterday police had looked into the Line social media correspondence of Kris Buddeechin, the red-shirt arrested for disseminating the fake announcement, and had managed to trace some important communications.
The “announcement” spread on other social media applications at around 9pm on February 2, while the communication trail on Line started at around 6.40pm, Prawut said.
Police are trying to track the person who first spread the fake announcement on Line in the hope of identifying the person behind it, he said, adding it was likely the culprit was still in Bangkok.
In a related development, the military court knocked back a second bail request by Kris yesterday, citing concerns he may flee the country and the fact a state investigating officer was not present to provide information. It ordered his initial detention for 12 days.
The 12-day period started on Tuesday at Bangkok Remand Prison.
Supawat Thaksin, the red-shirt United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship lawyer assisting Kris, said a third bail request would be posted.
Supawat claimed Kris should be given bail as Niran Yaowapha, the webmaster of the ASTV news-site who posted the fake announcement, was granted bail by the military court this week.
When Kris made his first bail request on Tuesday, investigating officers did not object, the lawyer said.