A fire raged through a light bulb factory in Samut Prakan’s Muang district very early on Wednesday morning, police said. The fire started at the Lightech Electronic (Thailand) Co Ltd premises on Soi Nikhom Bang Pu 8 in Tambon Praekkasa at 12.30am and quickly swept through it.
When 15 fire engines arrived at the scene, they could not enter the factory compound because an electric gate would not open as the electricity had been cut off. A worker had to use a forklift to ram open the gate to let the fire engines inside.
Firefighters took over two hours to control the blaze, which appeared to cause cracks the building.
Daeng Mueangson, 40, a security officer, said he noticed smoke coming from inside the factory building, so he rushed to check and saw that a pile of cardboard packages for storing goods had caught fire.
He then woke up a Taiwanese co-owner of the factory, who was staying on the second floor of an office building. The co-owner then called the police.
Police said the fire might have been started by a short circuit.