A fire consumed four Phuket houses and partially damaged another on Monday morning, police said.
The Muang Phuket police station was alerted of the fire in Tambon Talad Mai at 6.45am. The crew from four fire engines took about an hour to put out the blaze, which burned down four connected houses and damaged a fifth.
Police said no one was injured.
Chaliew Phaingam, 64, the owner of the house where the fire allegedly started, said she left home at 3am to sell food at a school about one kilometre away. After learning of the fire, she came home to see that everything had gone.
Owners of other houses had also left home to work before the fire started. When they returned to see the charred remains of their houses, they broke down in tears.
Police suspect the fire was caused by short circuit.