The Deputy Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), Mr. Tanes Petsuwan, recently unveiled a roster of “5-D reasons” why Thailand is the perfect destination for romance, weddings and honeymoons. The reasons he identified are as follows:
- Destinations Extraordinaire: A wide choice of breathtaking locations that make the perfect setting for a couple’s most important day;
- Diverse Choices: Tailor-made wedding themes for couples by professional wedding planners; from a beach wedding, a luxury yacht wedding, Under the Blue Sea Wedding, to extravagant Indian style;
- Dream Hideaways: Couples have a wide choice of desirable places to stay, from serene homestays to deluxe villas;
- Delectable Tastes: Ranging from five-star hotels to Michelin recommended restaurants or street food; and
- Distinct Hospitality: The essence of any Thai romance celebration lies in ‘Thainess’ and heart-warming hospitality that shape the couple’s experiences like nowhere else.
Mr. Tanes added that numerous marketing and promotional activities are planned to reinforce Thailand’s image as a global wedding and honeymoon destination, with the romance market categorised into three main target segments:
1) Pre-wedding market: China has emerged as a potential source market, as Chinese couples are characteristically fond of shooting photos while Thailand is a popular destination.
2) Wedding markets: These include short-haul markets; such as, India, Hong Kong and Australia. India contributes a huge share for this segment.
3) Honeymoon markets: This covers long-haul markets from America and Europe. Due to the long flight to Thailand, a honeymoon is more attractive to this group. Nearby markets like Indonesia, Malaysia and South Korea are also potential targets.
Many destinations with strong potential in the romance category have been identified. Most are beach destinations, but each place has its own unique charm. Destinations include Pattaya, Phuket, Ko Samui, Krabi, Chiang Mai, Trang, Trat, Hua Hin-Pran Buri, and Chiang Rai.
“When it comes to romance, people often think about two colours: pink and red. But, love is more than two colours. When you are in Thailand, there are a million shades of romance that enamor you. It might be either the crystal-clear blue of the sea, the greenery of the tropical forest, or the glowing sunset on the beach that counts,” said the TAT Deputy Governor.
In 2018, TAT expects to see a growth of 5 percent for the wedding and honeymoon segment. The authority’s goal is to promote Thailand to be among the top five world-class destinations for newlyweds and honeymooners.
Mr. Tanes also noted that Thailand hosted the 4th Destination Wedding Planners Congress 2017 in Phuket, an event held for the first time in Asia. Thailand was also unanimously voted to be the venue for the Amour Asia Pacific 2018 by its luxury buyers.