SYDNEY - Technical troubles have hindered a resumption of the search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 with a mini-sub lasting only two hours in the water before it had to be raised, officials said Wednesday.
Australian vessel Ocean Shield, carrying the US Navy Bluefin-21 submersible, arrived back in the southern Indian Ocean search zone Tuesday following a port visit to Perth after the air and sea hunt was scaled back.
The plan was for it to resume scouring the seabed where transmissions believed to have come from the plane's black box flight recorders were heard last month.
The Boeing 777 vanished on March 8 with 239 people on board after mysteriously diverting from its Kuala Lumpur-Beijing route. It is believed to have crashed far off Australia's west coast.
"The Autonomous Underwater Vehicle, Bluefin-21, was deployed from Ocean Shield yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon but was recovered about two hours later to investigate communications problems," said the Joint Agency Coordination Centre (JACC), which is organising the search.
"Work continues to rectify the issue and to date, Bluefin-21 has not redeployed."
Air and sea searches over vast stretches of the Indian Ocean have failed to find any sign of MH370.