PERTH, Australia - The search for wreckage of Flight MH370 was shifted Friday to an area 1,100 kilometres (685 miles) northeast of where planes had been looking after "a new, credible lead", Australian authorities said.
"The new information is based on continuing analysis of radar data between the South China Sea and the Strait of Malacca before radar contact was lost," the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said.
"It indicated that the aircraft was travelling faster than previously estimated, resulting in increased fuel usage and reducing the possible distance the aircraft travelled south into the Indian Ocean."
The updated advice was provided by the international investigation team in Malaysia with the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) determining "that this is the most credible lead to where debris may be located".
The new search area is approximately 319,000 square kilometres and around 1,850 kilometres west of Perth.