Govt to open up 30% of Bt2-trillion transportation project to private sector
The government plans to allow the private sector to take a stake of up to 30 per cent in a Bt2-trillion transportation project, more than double the 14 per cent previously permitted under the public-private-partnership (PPP) programme, the State Enterprise Policy Office said Monday.
Under the plan, the government will invest in infrastructure and the private sector will be allowed to invest in the rail rolling-stock system.
Prasong Poontaneat, director-general of the agency, said that about 70 per cent of the Bt2-trillion project over a seven- to eight-year period would be directly invested in by the government, while the remaining 30 per cent would be open for the private sector.
The Finance and Transport ministries are preparing the project details, which must be fully in line with the nation's development strategies.
About 70-80 per cent of the Bt2-trillion project will go to the transportation system, including double-track rail, high-speed trains and roads.