WASHINGTON - Residents of Toledo, Ohio will learn Sunday when they can drink tap water again after officials warned that the water supply was polluted with toxins likely released by algae blooms.
At least 400,000 people in the midwestern city and its suburbs were also warned not to boil the water because that would increase the concentration of the microcystin toxin.
Chemists testing water at the city's treatment plant "had two sample readings for microcystin in excess of the recommended 'DO NOT DRINK' 1 microgram per liter standard," the City of Toledo said in a statement Saturday.
"This notice applies to ALL customers of Toledo water," it said, adding that water "should not be consumed until an all clear is issued."
Toledo Mayor Michael Collins wrote late Saturday on his Twitter account that the water tests had been delayed, and that the city still had no results.
"We believe that we will be able to move forward by mid-afternoon on Sunday," Collins wrote.
The local Red Cross said that the toxin can cause nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, and affect liver functions but is rarely fatal to humans.
Governor John Kasich issued a state of emergency for three counties Saturday due to the contaminated water, allowing state officials to divert water to the affected area.
National Guard soldiers were mobilized to help distribute bottled water in Toledo.